Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Socks


Is it normal for me to have a sock collection? I enjoy organizing my sock drawer, is that strange? I had a pair of socks with little pictures of sushi on them (up until Jake the Dog decided to eat them, I think he was confusing them for real sushi), is that okay? Lets not get started on the socks with toes phase I went through. I tend to keep socks long after their pair has gone missing, pining away for the day that the dryer may decide to return my favorite sock from its dark depths...

I know where I got each pair: who gave them to me, when I purchased or received them, and where I purchased them from. I can probably still lead you to the sock store in San Francisco at Ghirardelli Square where I spent half an hour picking out 3 pairs of socks for $15.

I have so many socks, for different occasions, I feel like what's-her-name teacher from the Magic School Bus (Ms. Frizzle?). Anyway, I think I need an intervention, because my time is precious, and I think I would rather spend it with my son, and not pairing socks together and organizing them in a drawer.

I think that I will make a resolution to throw away socks that are missing their pair (how sad that sounds) and not buy anymore socks without asking myself, "Do I need these socks, or am I just giving in to my obsession?" If I do purchase them, I need to get rid of another pair. There, I admitted to my sock addiction.

P.S. To my horror, it has been almost a year since my sushi sock was eaten by Jake, I still had it's matching pair in my drawer when I pulled out socks for the photo...will I find the willpower to throw it out?